Friday, July 08, 2005

 

Goldwynisms

The term "Goldwynism" is named after one Samuel Goldwyn(1882-1974) a US movie producer. He was known to be a lone wolf and survived for over thirty years in the movie industry. Goldwyn was known for his witty nature and some of his cracks have been publicized so much that they began to be coined by the term "Goldwynism". I enjoyed reading some of it but I am not aware if Goldwyn really made these himself or it just came to be known by this name. One must probably re-read the quotes a few times to get the humor.Some of his "supposedly made" gems are:

In two words: im-possible.

Gentlemen, include me out.

A hospital is no place to be sick.

Television has raised writing to a new low.

Don’t pay any attention to the critics. Don’t even ignore them.

Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist ought to have his head examined.

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

I don't think anyone should write their autobiography until after they're dead.

I don't want any "yes-men" around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them their jobs.

I think luck is the sense to recognize an opportunity and the ability to take advantage of it. Everyone has bad breaks, but everyone also has opportunities. The man who can smile at his breaks and grab his chances gets on.

Never make forecasts, especially about the future.

I had a great idea this morning, but I didn't like it .

A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's written on.

Spare no expense to make everything as economical as possible.

Comments:
haha...good ones...goldwyn was the G in MGM Studios...after his time they faded out...the closest i have seen to goldwynism is the dialogue in a lal movie where he says, "oru joli kittiyittu venam leave eduthe veetil irikkaan".
 
I remember getting many of his English mangling one-liners as email forwards. This man is a classic. I am glad you used him as a topic for this blog. One my favs which I used as a email signoff was "Don’t talk to me while I’m interrupting. I may not always be right, but I’m never wrong."
 
A very good post. Let's us more such ones...
 
(Ignore my earlier comment)
A very good post. Let's have more such pieces from you.
 
GOLDWYNSIMS??!?..WTF...i say wittier stuff. they shd be coined "anjanaisms".
 
Good Stuff dude.Loved it.Where didtcha read this up ?
 
I think your blog is good. I've added you on my blogroll. Lucky you!
 
I know its kinda irrelavant, but how about some M*A*S*H-isms:

"I'm a life long Anglophile. England is still the only place I know where any young man can grow up to be the Queen"
Hawkeye

"Sex happens to be one of the most important things in life in as much as each one of us is one or the other gender of it once we're born, which is the direct result of the act of it."
Henry

"I'm only paranoid because everyone is against me."
Frank

"This is a press conference. The last thing I'm going to do is answer a lot of questions!"
General Mitchell

"...marriage is the chief cause of divorce..."
Frank

"Dad's not a big talker. He only spoke to mother if there was an 'r' in the month."
Hawkeye
 
ha ha h.. too good!
 
had a good laugh man!!!!!

really needed it (me suffering from sunday eve blues here!)

btwn my fav quotes are those of bernard shaw..he made sarcasm in to an art form :)
 
ahhhhhhhhh,grinning while readg that....wit!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?



Free Hit Counter