Saturday, June 04, 2005

 

Greetings

I have observed people greet others in different ways. While I resort to a simple "hi" on most times, I have been forced to change my style of greeting depending on the situation. For instance, there is this guy whom I meet every morning and he says "Hi" just like I do but its barely audible and since you dont have to be much of a lip reader to decipher this, its ok.

Some of us are known to be of few words. Therefore, to actually get out a simple "Hi" or "Hello" is an ordeal. So this other chap does what he knows best. He raises his eyebrow as if to say "Here you are again" . This has become something of a habit, therefore i relent and I am now greeting him his way.

One guy whom I keep running into believes all this is a waste of time. For instance, this other day,I met him after a week and the moment he sees me he says without preamble, "Saw the match. Wow, at last a win, eh?". No "hi" "byes" for this fella.

Its incredible how when you encounter a myriad of people everyday that some linger on in memory more than some others do.One such character( I don’t remember his name) used to be at the place where I used to work.I did not meet him often, just two three times before he was sent on deputation elsewhere. His style of greeting was to shake hands. Well, that’s not odd at all but this guy never used to look at you when shaking hands but would look down at the handshake. It was almost as if he had no sense of contact and had to actually look down to make sure we were indeed shaking hands :).

Comments:
You talk about the guy who dint look at your face when greeting! But, I think he's preferred to the pompus guy, who gets hold of your frail hand with two of his big hands and holds tight with no intention whatsoever to let go of it! Then he pushes ahead with a conversation, we'd rather not listen to because our thoughts are entirely on the question whether after all this you'll be left with a workable hand!
 
Neil, I havent still encountered a guy like the one you describe :)
 
You haven't! Well, then thanks to me... you're warned!
 
Hi Praveen,

hey where did my comment go? Damn the Net.

Anyways as I said in my last comment, a 'Hi' is an indicator that I am willing to converse with the person whom I had just greeted. It is a sign of welcome into your personal domain.

So when I do not say "hi!" it means u r banned from my life for the day.
 
You're right Silverine! Words as trivial as a "Hi" do indicate a lot of things :-)
 
hi,

The part where you mentioned the guy who starts of with the matter on hand without preamble was amusing.

:)

-Arvind
 
Very interesting observations. I mostly say Hi, or I just blink my eyes with a smile. Shaking hands seems to be too elaborate to be repeated everyday.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?



Free Hit Counter