Sunday, May 22, 2005

 

Music of Mayookham is captivating

After a short hiatus, the winning combination of director Hariharan and musician Bombay Ravi who churned out wonderful hits like “Nakashantangal” and “Sargam” are back with their latest Malayalam film “Mayookham”.

I was listening to the music of the film and was glad to see that Bombay Ravi has not lost his touch. The album is diverse and offers some wonderful scores and in a way transports you to the golden era of Malayalam films from the mid-eighties to the mid-nineties. The album is unique in that each song is a solo and no singer gets to sing two songs.

The album starts with “Katinnu Sugandham” sung by the omnipresent Yesudas (there are very few films in Malayalam where this legend does not get to sing). The song works mainly because of the poetic lyrics penned by Hariharan himself. “EE Puzhaum” sung by the gifted Chitra is nostalgic and invokes the picturesque beauty of Kerala. Lyrics by Mankombu Gopalakrishnan, with Chitra at her best, you can’t ask for a better song. Vijita Jai Ganesh sings “Tho Geha Krithya”, can’t comment much on this except that her sweet voice suits the song well. I guess a Malayalam album is incomplete without Jayachandran’s melodious voice. His voice is as youthful as when he started off in the 70s. Here he sings “Chuvarillathe”, another gem from the pen of Hariharan. Thought provoking with excellent music and a soulful rendition. “EE Puzhaum” repeats with an equally poignant male version sung by a new singer in Chandrasekhar. The voice is fresh and adds to the flavor of the album. “Dhanumasa Pulari” by Sujatha and chorus is vibrant and brings the festival spirit to light. Now coming to my favorite song. The extremely talented and versatile M.G. Sreekumar sings “Bagvathi Kavil”, with lyrics by Mankombu Gopalakrishnan. A romantic song, this is another feather in the cap for Sreekumar.

A great album, I am looking forward to the film and hopefully it won’t disappoint either.

Comments:
You Iyer?? Looks like it. No difference though ;)
Regards,
Sunil.
 
No, I am not. What made you think so? I have Nair and Menon blood within me though :-)
 
Yeah.. I felt you were Keralite... me too.. I am ier though.. you should have guessed that right?

Anyways, I like your style of writing. Also should be able to guess a little about you. You are an optimist who believes in kiving larger than life. Must be an extrovert. If not. you are quite complex.

Sorry about the analysis. Its a hobby.
Regards,
Sunil.
 
Thanks for the compliment. As for your analysis, the first part is right. I am an optimist and I do live life to the fullest. I am not an extrovert however, so does that make me complex ;-)? I guess it does, in a way.

I like your hobby of analysing people based on their writing. I must take a cue from you on that one :-)
 
You gave urself away in that post..he he he...Not a huge fan of Mallu film songs, but def love all the golden ones.
 
hariharan movie...worth watching for!
fazil has degenerated after manichitra thazhu, bharatan/padmarajan etc are gone. this guy is the last of them all !

btwn watched manichithra thazhu last week on tv. god..that movie feels even more awesome with time!. suresh gopi was probably the only one mistake in the movie. i wonder how mammooty would have done in that role. alas, i guess mega star ego's are not easy to please

also asked couple of my tam friends to watch the movie!. They were getting a bit too loud going gaga about chandramukhi. now they are silent :)

cheers
anish
ps: excellent review writing!
 
I share your tastes. you are right about Hariharan being the last of the good directors. I also like Sathyan Anthikad who does seem to have some of the old magic left in him. And Anish, thanks for the appreciation
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?



Free Hit Counter