Saturday, May 28, 2005

 

Autobiographies

If someone thought that penning an autobiography is facile, then you gotta be kidding. You need to have a great memory for sure to diligently chronicle the highlights of your life and then write it down with a flair that would make the readers appreciate and seek inspiration from your achievements.

I haven't read many autobiographies but the one I do remember having enjoyed was the one written by Agatha Christie. She did live a very eventful life and although she conveniently omits a very embarrassing incident in her life attributing it to her bouts of amnesia, the book is definitely worth a read. She writes at length about her childhood, her knowledge of medicines (because of her stint as a nurse during the world war) and her fascination for books and archeology. She also speaks about her characters like Poirot, Marple, Tommy and Tuppence.
The one flaw in the book is it's bad editing since the periods and incidents appear disconnected probably because she wrote the book over a period of many years.

So ppl who are reading this, let me know of other autobiographies worth reading, coz i would be interested in giving it a shot.

Comments:
I dont read. But I believe Mein Kamph is quite good. I know its not a technical atuobiography but its a good book. I have heard that at least
 
Hmmm, thanks for that, but I have heard mixed reactions about this book. Let me give it a try.
 
Try and get your hand on "The Autobiography of God", Hilarious though the narrative becomes a little tiresome towards the end. I tried to read Lee Iacocca, but it only succeeds in putting me to sleep.
 
Try Peter Ustinov's 'Dear Me'. If you can find a copy, that is. And one of the most entertaining autobios I've read is David Niven's 'The Moon's a Balloon'. (The sequel, 'Bring on the Empty Horses', wasn't half as entertaining.) You also should read bios too. Kim Philby (the spy who shocked the world) and Martha Gelhorn (Hemingway's ex-wife who was a formidable and better journalist) are a good start.;-) Language Lover
 
I think you should gibe the biography of Richard P Feynman a whirl. It's called "Genius" and the author is James Gleick. It's an astonshing read!
 
"Language Lover" and Rohit, thanks for the references
 
i think "The Story of My Experiments with Truth" is a very fine autobiography. I would say that it ought to be compulsory reading for every Indian at a very early age. I think i don't need to stress the name of the the writer.

If i sit back and reflect, i think it is the only autobiography i have ever read.

The font is incorigably small and the book is a 400 page long one. But still worth reading.
 
just am a passing visitor... has the trailer of mayookham released? i m not connected with kerala film industry in any way (im tamil), but the actress mamta was one year my junior in school... just wanted to know how she looks on screen... whether the trailor is available on the net
 
Thanks Arvind for the info.

Vineet: You probably commented on the wrong article. Anyways, the trailer of Mayookham has released and looks good. Not sure if its available online.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?



Free Hit Counter