Friday, December 24, 2004

 

Shocking

Iam putting in a blog after a long time, because my mind has been wallowing in a labyrinth of emotions. Its been about ten days since my uncle passed away and he has occupied my thoughts ever since the news reached me. Its strange how we think of someone more when we know for sure that we will never see that person again. The fact that he was in his mid forties and had lived a healthy life till the fatal attack of jaundice throws light on the unpredictability of life.
My uncle was a nondescript, simple individual who had absolutely no qualms about the way he dressed. To call him an altruist would be an understatement. I think that his whole life hinged on helping others with total selflessness. His official work would bring him often to Bangalore and I would look forward to his visits. At home, he would lend a helping hand wherever required and do so with the gusto which is a rarity these days when it comes to doing household chores.
Memories come flooding back as I write this. Like when my uncle helped in trapping the elusive cockroaches for my Biology dissection lab in college, our visit to the movies not so long ago when I was in Kerala for a holiday and that vociferous snoring which my uncle could not ever get rid of but which also meant a sleepless night for the others at home.
My uncle's convivial nature was evident when his friends and acquaintances out numbered the relatives that thronged his funeral. Quoting Leonardo da Vinci "As a well-spent day brings happy sleep, so a life well used brings happy death"

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?



Free Hit Counter