Sunday, November 21, 2004

 

On Call

If you have been part of a support or maintenance project then you probably would know what being on call means. If you havent then its your good fortune. What this term means is that during weekends and holidays, you would be called on the phone to fix an issue and by some burst of clairvoyance, you should have an inkling as to what the issue is and also have a ready solution in hand, else you need to travese 10 miles to your office and in the course of this travel come up with a solution which you can readily apply on reaching the workplace. Believe me, this is not as complicated as my previous sentence sounds. I know that my weekend is wrecked the minute I am entrusted with a company provided mobile phone which would be my confidant for the next two days. The biggest misery for me is not the impending phone call but the actual wait for it. During these days, I would never part with the phone as if my whole life depended on it. Every two minutes, i would steal a furtive glimpse of this insipid object so much so that its contours would be sketched in my mind till eternity. And when the phone does ring, its a big relief for I would have something to look forward to for the remainder of the weekend.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?



Free Hit Counter